Saturday 26 April 2014

15mm Skirmish Box - WIP

A quicky here. It's funny how some projects just suddenly pop into your head from nowhere. This one came from a discussion on gift boxes!

So the idea is to have a box which contains enough stuff to quickly open the box and get playing with minimum time. It's got to play on the kitchen table and be completely self contained whilst still looking good.

After a bit of thought, 15mm seemed to be scale to run with. Both for space and price. At 15mm 2' x 2' is the ideal table space which can easily fit on a table.



So here is a quick progress shot. I'm using four 1 foot x 1 foot self adhesive vinyl floor tiles as a board. The texture is a scaled down Rake Corner Map from Dave Graffam. The building is also Dave Graffam's, but from his old free range (that makes up most of my 28mm fantasy town). There has been a bit of minor kit-bashing to make it fold flat for storage in the box (at the moment a 12" Pizza box for the tile size).

Warbands have been sourced from 15mm.co.uk. I have figures to form Barbarian, Undead and Orc warbands ordered.

Well more as it's done...

9 comments:

  1. Sounds cool pal, was it you I remember doing space hulk type board bits from some strange box size that you only find in the UK?

    I found a magnetized setup on kickstarter I eventually plunged for that I hope will cover all my portable/travel gaming needs ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was my box file space shape (still in the dry docks!!). What was the magnetised setup you bought into? Sounds nice.

      Delete
    2. It's called mobile rpg module by aftermath mods. It's hit some hiccups but they were personal in nature and they had begun some production so hopefully a short delay, I kinda felt their estimated delivery dates were aggressive anyways.

      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1012484705/mobile-rpg-module-travel-sized-magnetic-role-playi

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing your finished game - great concept!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers, you guys. Be sure you'll see the whole process. Hopefully it'll reach the end better than the project Tristan above refers to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great idea (not least as I'm someone in a small cottage with two kids and painfully little hobby space)

    Is there a link, please, to where you got those buildings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These actual buildings downloads are no longer available, as the creator went "commercial" with new designs. His site is at www.davesgames.net. There are a couple of similar design to the one's I've used. Best to go the one's with multiple layers - more variety for your currency.

      I also altered the design slightly by cutting the apex of the wall off and gluing it to the roof. Tristan (comments above) has requested alsewhere that I do a setup video, which I plan\hope to have a bash at. This will shoe what's what a bit clearer (or at least thats the idea!!)

      Delete